There are so many different ways to work out and it doesn’t always need to involve a gym membership. By investing in some portable gym equipment, you can work out from the comfort of your own home. This is ideal for those who don’t enjoy the gym, don’t have the time, or just can’t afford the cost of a monthly membership. Despite the upfront cost, a portable home gym will save you money AND time in the long run. With all the different home gyms on the market, it’s easy to get confused with everything that is out there.
There are some super expensive options that involve large pieces of equipment. In this article, however, we’re specifically going to focus on portable, AFFORDABLE systems that are suitable for small spaces. If you’re currently self-isolating these are an excellent way to get a full-body workout while keeping up your fitness levels. Or maybe you’ve never worked out before and want to start prioritizing your health? Take a look at our top picks for best portable home gym to help you choose the right one for you:
Best portable home gym 2020
The following are our top picks for affordable (and portable) home gym systems that you can use to get a full body workout:
1. Bodyboss Home Gym 2.0 (Most Popular in 2020)
The Bodyboss home gym 2.0 is primarily based on resistance brand training but there are other features too. Its purpose is to act as a real home gym while taking up much less space than a roomful of bulky machines. As the name would suggest, this product really is the “boss” and its versatility means it definitely deserves a place on this list. It’s currently one of the bestselling home gym systems in 2020 on many top retail marketplaces. Let’s take a look at the features of the product, plus the advantages and drawbacks.
- The base of the Bodyboss is durable and sturdy, and allows you to attach all the different components with ease. The base is quite sophisticated because it is designed in a way that allows you to anchor the resistance bands to the floor without having to stand on them.
- The resistance bands that come with the machine are pretty standard and offer around 30lb of resistance. They attach to the base and then the other ends have clips that clip on to to the handles and all of the attachments.
- The attachments allow you to perform a wide variety of exercises. These include 2 padded handles, 2 padded wrist/ankle straps, a workout bar, and a door anchor.
- It comes in a variety of different colors.
Here’s the Bodyboss being used for a shoulder press:
- The folding base makes for easy portability. This folds up really small and can be stored in a small space like under a bed, in a wardrobe, or in the corner of a room.
- The bar allows you to do bodyweight exercises like squats and you can also exercise your upper body with the resistance bands.
- There is a great startup workout program included for you to take full advantage of. These include different exercises depending on what your goals might be.
- A carry case is included for you to keep all the attachments in one place.
- There are lots of workouts for this system online to give you some inspiration.
- It is very affordable compared to other equipment based home gyms.
- Only 2 resistance bands are included. For increased resistance, versatility of workouts, and less downtime between exercises you might want to purchase a few extras. Any resistance bands with clips on the ends can be used or you can buy from Bodyboss.
Check Bodyboss 2.0 Price On Amazon
2. Gorilla Bow
For those who like something a little different but still want to experience a fully effective workout from home, the Gorilla Bow is one to consider. This is strength training at its best, using resistance bands attached to a bow shape in an innovative way that can be used to strengthen different parts of your body including shoulders, chest, legs and core. Let’s explore the product in more detail so that you can decide if it is the best portable home gym for you.
- The bow itself is constructed with strong aluminum but despite this, it is rather lightweight at just 6lbs. It can withstand an impressive 300 lbs of resistance without bending or breaking.
- You can work all the different muscle groups of your body so no matter what results you are trying to achieve, it’s all possible with the Gorilla Bow.
- The Gorilla Bow comes with a total of 4 latex resistance bands and each of them offers different levels of resistance depending on your fitness level.
- Adjustable resistance levels for all different levels.
- A drawstring bag is included for you to keep all of the bands in one place.
- While it might seem like a pretty basic product, the range of exercises that you can do with the Gorilla Bow are extensive. You can use it to replicate most common strength training exercises, but it can also be used for HIIT.
- Includes a storage bag to carry around the resistance bands.
- It gives a full-body workout if used correctly.
- There are different colors of bows available. Also different resistance packages – choose the Lite bow if you you’re a beginner or don’t need much resistance, the original is suitable for most fitness enthusiasts, or the heavy package (with heavier resistance bands) for heavy lifters.
- Large library of free workout videos will give you plenty of ideas for tailoring a workout to your needs.
- There is a money-back guarantee included if for any reason you are not satisfied with the product.
- The original Gorilla Bow doesn’t fold up, which can make it difficult to move around because of the unusual shape of the product (it’s also quite long). If you want a portable bow you should opt for the Travel Bow, which still weighs just 6lbs but can be disassembled into 3 x 21 inch pieces.
Check out the Gorilla Bow in action:
3. OYO Personal Gym
Like our first two picks, the OYO Personal Gym is also based around resistance training and it claims to help transform your body. It does have a number of different components that make it ideal for a full-body workout. Discs are used with this product, which offers a suitable alternative for the more standard weights. Let’s take a look at the product in more detail by exploring the features, plus the pros and cons.
- The OYO Personal Gym includes one 5lb and two 10lbs flex packs, giving a total of 25lbs of resistance. Leg and door anchors are also available providing that you get the Total Body Package (the Basic Package doesn’t include these).
- No matter what your fitness level might be, you simply snap the flexdiscs onto the portable gym as you see fit and you are ready to go.
- Constructed from heavy-duty material, yet feels very lightweight and is comfortable to hold because of the ergonomic handgrips.
- It is made of high-quality materials which ensure that it will last you for years to come.
- It includes an OYO coaching app which is free to use and will tell you the best exercises to do with the OYO personal gym, and other helpful information.
- The SpiraFlex resistance technology has actually been used by astronauts at the International Space Station for over 10 years now and are a testament to how effective it is.
- It’s small and light so perfectly portable and you can pick it up and use it anywhere – at home, at the office, or in a hotel rooom.
- Some other extras that you will get are leg and door anchors, an exercise wall chart, video downloads, and a nutritional guide.
- It doesn’t provide the same resistance as the Gorilla Bow or Bodyboss so not suitable for someone who normally lifts heavy weights. That doesn’t mean you can’t get a great workout from it though!
See how easy it is to workout with the OYO personal Gym:
For more information see our detailed review of the OYO Check out the OYO Personal Gym On the Official Website
4. Fusion Motion Portable Gym
The Fusion Motion portable gym has definitely earned its place on this list of best portable home gyms for the sheer number of features included in it. There are 8 accessories for you to utilize based on your needs. You can burn fat and build muscle with this machine and no matter what area of your body you are looking to workout, you can do that with the Fusion Motion Portable Gym. Let’s take a look at this product in a little more detail so that you can discover if it is right for you.
- The Fusion Motion equipment is made from reinforced steel, which means that it is durable and strong for a whole number of different exercises.
- There are a total of 8 different accessories included with the product and you can learn more about these in the pros below.
- Easy to put together and fold away for your convenience.
- A heavy-duty floor anchor and pulse attachments are included for those grueling resistance sessions where you really want to build up a sweat.
- The range of accessories allowing you to do more exercises with just this one piece of equipment includes a resistance band, a tricep bar, pulleys, and an ab roller machine. No matter what area of your body you want to exercise, you can do it and if you are consistent, you are going to see great results before long.
- It actually comes fully assembled and is very lightweight, which makes it convenient for moving to room to room or even traveling with.
- You can effortlessly sculpt both your lower and upper body with the Fusion Motion Portable Gym from the comfort of your own home.
- With your purchase, you will also get a detailed guide that includes 200 different exercises that you can do with the Fusion Motion.
- There is a money-back guarantee included for you to use if you are not satisfied with the product in any way.
- I did see one or two people mention that it was overpriced, but I think the same could be said for any portable gym depending on how you look at it. Personally I feel that they’re very good value for money. You can do a huge number of gym strength training exercises from home or anywhere you want and they’re extremely portable. Definitely don’t let the price put you off!
5. Tension Toner
Tension Toner is a workout bar that is foldable and designed especially for resistance training. The great thing about this product is that it targets so many different muscles depending on what workout you do. There is such a cool feature on this product which helps you to stay accountable for your fitness goals. You can discover more about the features and benefits below.
- It includes a workout bar, a door anchor, 2 resistance bands, an instruction booklet, a bag to keep everything together and a home resistance training program to follow.
- As you pull the bar up, the center straps will fasten and this will allow you to see if your form is correct throughout the workout. Your goal is to keep the strap flat no matter what move you might be doing.
- There are three levels of resistance that are easy to adjust and use depending on your fitness level.
- It is compact and lightweight, weighing under 2 pounds.
- It is ideal for fat burning, weight loss, and muscle building.
- There are different exercises you can do at the resistance level of your choice based on your fitness level.
- It takes up less space than other portable gyms, which also means that it is easier to transport. Throw it into a backpack or suitcase and it can be taken just about anywhere.
- The Tension Toner is easy to set up and super convenient because you can start working out right away.
- There is a library full of exercise videos and demonstrations showing you how to use the product to get the most out of it.
- It’s the most affordable of all the best portable gym systems we’ve mentioned.
- It might take some time to get used to the bar because it is probably different to any other exercise device you’ll have used before.
- There are certain exercises that you won’t be able to do the traditional way with this device and although you can use it to do 70 different exercises, it’s not as versatile as the others. It’s still a great way to maintain fitness on the go though.
Here’s how it works:
Portable Gym Buyer Guide
There are some things that you need to consider before buying a portable gym to use at your home. The following are questions to ask yourself/things to keep in mind before you make your purchase so that you don’t regret it.
- Does the gym do what you want it to? While some portable gyms focus on arms, some focus on legs and other body parts. Make sure that you are not spending your money on a product that you will not be able to get full use out of. Most of the above are suitable for a full body workout, but some will suit your needs more than others.
- If you’re a heavy lifter you may want to check the product’s max resistance. For example, the OYO only offers about 25lbs resistance but you can get up to 300lbs resistance with the Bodyboss and Gorilla Bow (you may need to purchase extra heavy resistance bands if they’re not included with the product).
- Make sure that you are buying your portable gym from a reputable retailer. Sites like Amazon are always a safe bet and many of the machines that have been spoken about have regular discounts and actually come with a money-back guarantee.
- While a portable gym is a good option for at-home exercise, you need to make sure that you are practicing other healthy habits. It takes a combination of eating well and working out to get the results you want.
Conclusion and final verdict
All the best portable gym 2021 products mentioned in this article have a great reputation and have satisfied customers all over the world. You can use them to replicate many weight-based exercises that you would do in the gym, but without needing plenty of space-consuming equipment or free weights. They’re perfect for a quick workout at home, at the office, or when traveling. They also fold up small for very easy portability.
If you want to delve into them a little more, we highly recommend checking out some of their customer reviews on Amazon or other reputable retailers. Which one you decide to go for will depend on your own personal needs and budget. Bodyboss 2.0 Home Gym in our opinion though is the most versatile (for both strength training and cardio) and is the one product that can replace your gym membership if you need to work out from home or on the go. Here are our favorite portable home gyms on Amazon: